Sunday, April 22, 2012

Sunday Servings: Hootenanny Pancake

What in the world is a hootenanny? Not sure, but Wikipedia seems to think it is along the same lines of a whatchamacalit or a thingamajig. It apparently, in a corporate setting, can also mean a meeting of the minds, but I'm really not sure what kind of response "I think it's time for a hootenanny" would get.

Check out the original recipe on
Mr. Food's website
But a hootenanny pancake is a delightful breakfast treat everyone is sure to love. I came across this recipe on a local news program and tried it out on my parents for Saturday morning breakfast.

Growing up, Saturday morning breakfast was ritual in the Peterson household, consisting of scrambled eggs, sausage or bacon and canned biscuits. I am convinced my mom makes the best scrambled eggs in the whole world--a talent she inherited from my grandmother and perfected over the years. I've never been able to figure out exactly what she does differently, but whatever it is, it's wonderful. I still won't eat anyone else's scrambled eggs, including my own. And as for canned biscuits, of course I love biscuits made from scratch, but the sound of the vacuum sealed pop when you open the can brings me all the way back to my mother's kitchen, morning light streaming in through the windows, and me on tiptoe peering over the counter edge. And really, Pillsbury canned biscuits are pretty dang good.

Whereas weekday mornings were busy and hectic, Saturday mornings were lazy and slow and there was plenty of time for cooking a big breakfast and sitting around the table to enjoy time with one another. Everyone loves Saturday, and for me these Saturday morning memories make the day all the more enjoyable.

Hootenanny pancake, in my mind a cross between a pancake and an omelette, is a perfect Saturday morning breakfast. It doesn't take much prep work, and as I proved this weekend, you can make it with fresh-out-of-bed, pre-coffee brain. 5-10 minutes of prep and 25-30 minutes later, and you have a fresh baked breakfast perfect for a lazy Saturday morning. It also looks pretty impressive on the table and would be sure-fire way to impress your house guests.

Enjoy!

Hootenanny Pancake:

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup of butter, melted (I used Smart Balance instead of butter, and it turned out just fine and maybe a bit healthier.)
  • 6 eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup all-purpose (cake) flour
  • 1/2 cup sliced strawberries (Using fresh berries is probably best)
  • 1/2 cup blueberries
  • 1/2 cup raspberries
  • Confectioners' (icing) sugar for sprinkling

Instructions

  1. Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Pour butter into a 9x13in (23x33cm) baking dish (I used a slightly smaller dish with no problems); set aside.
  2. Combine eggs, milk and salt; blend until frothy. Slowly add flour, mixing until well blended. Pour egg mixture into baking dish.
  3. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown and center is set. Top with berries and sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Slice and serve immediately.
Notes
I plan on trying it with ham or sausage and cheese sprinkled across the top instead of fruit. Another option might be chopped tomato, pepper, onion, sausage and cheese for something a little more hearty.


No comments: