Thursday, August 31, 2006

The book world is an interesting business. Not a week goes by that I don't come across two or three books to add to my reading list. On the flip side, not a week goes by that I don't come across books that I simply have to wonder what was the point in killing trees to print them.

Today was another find to add to the second list: The 100 Minute Bible abridged by Michael Hinton and illustrated (yes, illustrated, and no, not a kid's book) by Helen Jenkins.

The question I ask: when did God's Word become a matter of ease and convenience? When did the Word become such an ineffectual teacher that it needs to be "cliff-noted"? (I checked, by the way. There is a Cliff Notes version of the Old Testament and the New Testament. I'm proud to say that Barnes & Noble's version of Cliff Notes, Sparknotes, does not publish Bible Sparknotes.)

What do you guys think? Has the Bible lost its potency in today's society?

1 comment:

Leslie Hutchins said...

This is an interesting point, and something that I am glad you pointed out, because it is true. I think we have allowed our fast paced society to influence our own time with God. I think your correct. I think we see devotional time as a duty instead of an opportunity, and that is when we start focusing on God's Word becoming a matter of ease and convenience. I know it is something I struggle with, but I am glad you pointed this out since it isn't something I would have considered on my own.