Sunday, September 03, 2006


Some of you might be curious as to what a day in the life looks like for a Barnes & Noble Community Relations Manager. Some of you may be asking, "what exactly does Amanda do all day at this new job of her?" And those of you who are not asking...well you get to find out the answer anyway.

The truth is that every day is a little bit different. Here's the overview:
  • Working with teachers, librarians, government staff, and nonprofit staff to make book orders for their schools and organizations. B&N has an institutional purchasing programs that gives schools and nonprofits a 20% discount on all their book purchases. It's a really good deal.
  • Setting up bookfairs with schools and other organizations to help raise money for libraries, school programs, and literacy/arts programs. Our in-store bookfairs can raise a lot of money for organizations. They are simple to put together for the organizations we help, and fun for us too.
  • Planning author signings. Mostly local authors, but still a cool aspect of the job.
  • Planning in-store events such as American Girls Club, weekly storytimes, book release parties, etc.
  • Being a bookseller, cashiering, helping at info, recovering the store, etc.
  • And then my favorite part: loving on my fellow booksellers. Definitely the best part of my job is that I get to have interaction with pretty much every single bookseller everyday. I'm developing some good friendships with a few, and just getting to love on a whole lot.

Everyday brings new things. I can never tell for sure what projects are headed my way. I love the spontaneity of the job. I love that my job is just pure fun even on the longer, busy days. I am very, very blessed to have such a wonderful position.

(The guy in the Clifford suit is my store manager Dave. Great guy who is really passionate about what he does. So passionate that he wagered with the booksellers and lost, thus the dog suit.)

7 comments:

ewall said...

AP--I'm so glad that you are enjoying your job this much, how cool it has been to watch how God provided it exactly for you. I love you and am so thankful for who you are--

sarah said...

that sounds like so much fun. I love the idea of working with books all day. plus having it be different each day. What a blessing.

Steve Maxwell said...

AP, thanks for the Behind the Scenes look at B&N. You know I have always loved that place and now you give insights. I have a gift card I am going to use soon. Take care and we miss you.

Kristi said...

That does sound fun! What a blessing to have a job you enjoy. I hope it continues to offer as much as it is for you

Adam Wolfgang said...

If I come to visit you sometime, I fully expect to wear the dog suit!

Unknown said...

Unfortunately, Adam, all of our costume characters are shipped from store to store so I no longer have the Clifford suit. But if you come visit me on the first weekend of the month, then I promise you will get to be some sort of costume character!

suzylu said...

Kezia was very excited that you got to meet Clifford and wants to come visit and sit on Clifford's lap. She says "hi" to Amanda too and wants to give you and hug, kiss and a smooch =)