Friday, August 19, 2005

Bulls Eye!

For the past few weeks, I have been slowly working on my personal mission statement. Okay, thinking about working on it might be a more accurate statement! I actually sat down to start writing it out today.

I first came to the idea of creating a personal mission statement through the book 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, Steven Covey, and through the encouragement of Ike, minister at PUMP. (Ike and I have been going through the book together, and I'm greatly enjoying it! I would highly recommend it if you haven't read it!) It takes a lot for me to sit down and introspect. (Though through the past year, God has given me plenty of opportunity to do just that!) I'm not one for really looking at myself and acknowledging how I'm doing. But writing out a mission statement, requires a lot of introspection. It requires knowing yourself and knowing yourself well. You have to come to an understanding of who you are, where you are, and where you are going in life. More importantly, you need to have a good grasp of who you are in the Lord. I'm not sure if I know any of those things well. In fact, I probably don't know the true answer to any of those questions. So, I suppose my effort to write this down, is one more effort to get to know myself, one more opportunity to define who I am and where I'm headed.

I can't doubt that my mission statement will always be in draft form, constantly needing to be altered as God grows me and I learn new life lessons. But its exciting to better understand my own paradigm and to better define how I want to live my life. My hope is that this mission will be how I live my life instead of just something I decided to write down one day. I want to live life with purpose and intent. I want to be an arrow streaming toward the bulls-eye instead of lollygagging down a path that leads to Nowheresville!

Lord, help me to live my life with purpose and direction that is wholly dependent on You!

No comments: