Saturday, September 24, 2005

Making a Life Change

I have made a huge first step in my life! As of today, I have officially been an L.A. Weight Loss member for one week! It's time to be proactive and make a positive change in my life!

This for me is not about loosing weight. It's not about reaching a goal weight or fitting into a certain pair of jeans. This is not about dissatisfaction with my physical appearance.

In the last week, I have had many people tell me "you don't need it" or "you look great as is." And those folks are right. From a weight loss stand point, I don't need it. But this for me is about creating new habits, making a life change. For so long food has been an idol in my life. I began using it for comfort when I was young and that became habit in my life. This is not healthy.

Okay, the next few sentences may sound like a commercial: The reason I chose L.A. Weight Loss is that they are really about making a life change. After I loose the weight I would like to loose, they will stick with me for an entire year, helping me to not make it another yo-yo diet but to truly make it a lifestyle change.

It was about this time last year that I began counseling. I was in counseling for six months dissecting feelings of depression, self-hatred, and regret. In those six months, God worked hard to change the way that I perceive myself--He's still working on it. This is another part of the process. He's shown me that in order to love others well, I have to love myself well. This is another step toward loving myself well. Even more, this is tearing down an idol in my life, food, which has been sitting on God's throne in my heart!

Please pray for me as I'm making this change in my life. I'm also praying that if any of you have idols in your life, you will begin to tear them down. I just want Jesus! It's that simple. So I'm removing anything in my life that is keeping me from Him! I pray that I will continue to have courage to tear down the idols in my life!

No comments: