Sunday, August 05, 2012

Sunday Servings: Buttermilk Pie

The past week was a long one with a lot of work and a bit of a cold coming on, so I'm afraid I've only have leftovers to write with today.

Since it's only leftovers, I thought a suggestion with what to do with leftover buttermilk might come in handy. After making the Triple Berry Buttermilk Bundt a few weeks ago, I was browsing the internet trying to find a good recipe to use up my leftover buttermilk.

There's the obvious--buttermilk pancakes, waffles, biscuits--but I was feeling the mood for something a bit more nuanced. I came across a recipe for buttermilk pie, something I'd never heard of and asked my mom if it was a new one on her as well.

Apparently my great-grandmother Mama Bell used to make buttermilk pies. An old recipe that has fallen out of fashion.

Mom went scrounging in her old cookbooks and managed to find a recipe she thought was similar to Mama Bell's. This pie is very rich and tasty. Probably more of a winter pie than a summer pie, but a recipe well worth bringing back into the modern era.

Enjoy!

Buttermilk Pie

Ingredients


  • 2 eggs
  • 1 3/4 cups of sugar*
  • 4 tablespoons of flour
  • 1/2 cup melted butter
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • Unbaked shell**

Directions


  1. Preheat oven to 350
  2. Beat eggs well and mix ingredients in order given. Poor filling into an unbaked shell.
  3. Bake for 1hr and 15min until firm in center. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving. Also tastes nice cold.

Notes

*I used a half cup less sugar and the pie was still very sweet. In the future, I'll probably only use one cup of sugar.
**As appropriate for a leftover feeling, I used store bought pre-made crust. Look for homemade crusts in future recipes.
_______________________

Like this recipe? Check out others in the Sunday Servings gallery.

No comments: