Thursday, August 23, 2012

Live Simply: Being Available

Living simply is about making yourself available. Available to relationship. Available to the what is happening right in front of you.

In our Peace Corps training during the first two months of my years in South Africa, one of the things emphasized over and over again was greeting--greet properly and greet everyone. Fail to do that and one of your fellow villagers will write you off as the rude American who doesn't belong and shouldn't be here.

In black South African culture, greeting is what says to the other person--here you are, the person in front of me, and you are the most important person right now. Talking with you, acknowledging your presence in my day, hearing your stories, your woes, your joys. This is most important to me.

But this is hard for most Americans because our culture is time focused...


Read the full post on the all new www.AmandaErinPeterson.com.

While there, update your bookmark or subscribe to have new posts sent directly to your inbox, like me on Facebook and then follow me on Twitter.

No comments: