Sunday, June 03, 2012

Sunday Servings: Zucchini Apple Bread

Summer and farmers' markets.

It just doesn't get any better than all the fresh, local produce suddenly available--strawberries, blueberries, zucchini, squash of all kinds, peppers, green beans and more.

I love the many, many tastes of summer.

I love my father's little garden in the backyard, this year with herbs mixed in among the tomatoes and okra.

Summer is one of those seasons where it is so easy to get in touch with nature again.

My new office is just across the way from Mackenzie Park--the finest of Lubbock's parks with entertainment such as Prairie Dog Town and Joyland amusement park, but also with a few acres of wild.

When I arrived there Friday with my lunch in hand, I slipped off my shoes and walked idly through the freshly cut grass.

More than sandy beaches, I love walking barefoot through the grass. I love the initial pricks of the blades as your foot meets the ground. I love how those pricks transform into a bed of softness, cushioning your foot. When I walk barefoot on the grass, I feel at one with nature and at once transformed into something more nymph like than human.

In my nymphin state, I meandered across the park--sometimes following the creek, sometimes wondering through the trees. Stopping at a footbridge to watch a turtle catch a bite to eat and smiling at the children's racing past bellies full of picnic delights.

I found myself walking through a painting of summer bliss.

And with a few apples and zucchini, I've found another way to recreate that painting of summer bliss in a taste sensation straight from your local farmers' market.

I love this recipe for it's light, sweetness, and the combination of the apple and zucchini is phenomenal. I hope you enjoy it and find a bit of summer bliss in each mouthful.

Zucchini Apple Bread

Original recipe available on
AllRecipes.com

Ingredients

  • 4 eggs
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (for a heartier bread, use 2 cups all-purpose and 1 1/2 cups wheat flour)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
  • 2 cups peeled, chopped zucchini (know as marrow in South Africa)
  • 1 cup chopped, peeled apple

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C) and grease two 9x5in (23x13cm) loaf pans.
  2. In a large bowl, combine eggs, white sugar, brown sugar, oil and vanilla until well blended. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Stir flour mixture into egg mixture. Fold in walnuts, zucchini and apple. Pour into prepared pans.
  3. Bake 1 hour, or until top springs back when touched lightly in center. Let cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire rack to cool completely.

No comments: