Friday, September 09, 2005

Meeting Benjamin

Greetings from Lubbock, Texas! Yes, I made it here safely and last night, I met my nephew for the very first time. My sister cried, I nearly did, and Benjamin let out a few wails of, in my opinion, pure delight at meeting his Aunt!

I have now changed two diapers and rocked him to sleep once. I've changed lots of diapers over the years, but I had more fun changing those two than I know I ever have had before. It could be the diaper rash remedy my sister's pediatritian gave them--one part butt paste, one part Mylanta. Yes, that's right Mylanta. I don't know if it actually works, but in case any of you mom's out there want to give it a try...

So, Benjamin has my sister's nose and dimples (at least we think he has dimples, it's hard to tell yet) and the rest of him is all Jake. He has this great, little mad face when he gets upset that looks exactly like his father. He's also done a few things that remind me of my grandfather. My favorite thing is that when he smiles he kind of smirks like Harrison Ford in Indiana Jones. I'll post more pictures to Flickr when I get the chance. I'm sure I will take a lot over the next few days!

2 comments:

Amber said...

Amanda-

Wow, crazy that you're in TX. Are you melting yet? Congrats on becoming an aunt! You'll do great!

Thanks for your words of encouragement on my blog. I appreciate them greatly, as you are one of the few people who has bravely 'stuck around' as life has taken me to knew places; physically, spiritually, and intellectually. I can't wait until we can sit face to face over coffee to brew over our joys and struggles. Til then, may peace's pursuit of you be successful.

Kristi said...

Congrats Auntie! It's one of the greatest jobs ever.